So, let's recap. When we last left off, I had just finished the school year and it was 1 month away from the wedding - wahoo! Here's what's happened since, each point deserving of it's own post (or several) but for now I'll keep it to a summary.
1. WE GOT MARRIED! Kevin and I were completely thrilled and humbled by the entire week of celebrations, shenanigans, and the love we felt from all our friends and family. It was perfect and more than we imagined. Not an ounce of nerves or anxiety the entire time - just love, joy, and tons of laughter. And wine.
![]() |
| BEST DAY EVAH!!! |
3. Getting settled in CA: We joke that we feel like ex-pats coming from the east coast to CA. It's definitely different, but in these subtle, almost intangible ways. One way we've both felt like transplants is that, to us, it was never really cold over the winter. Everyone was complaining about how freezing it was and I don't think I ever had to put on a hat or gloves. It's not cold, people. It barely hit the low 30s. We've loved exploring our new town and have been able to take some road trips down the coast and have visited SF many times. Right now we're exploring the various parks in the area and have seen some beautiful scenery. Being close to the ocean is incredible and Zeke is definitely enjoying the mild Bay Area temps!
| We saw elephant seals up close and personal! So cool! |
5. Maybe writing...?: Kevin told me about oDesk.com - you can create a profile and do freelance work for writing, IT, or office admin duties. I signed up and have had pretty decent luck with writing jobs. Fingers crossed that it will be the springboard I need to get me to something I really enjoy doing. I miss music and I miss teaching. But, I really do enjoy writing so here goes nothing.
6. FAQ:
1. What about running a private voice studio? Yes, it's a great idea and one I might pursue at some time. However, I need to find a studio, rent space, and try to build up a roster of students in order to be successful with that. Right now, it's not the most viable option, but one day maybe it will be.
2. Substitute teaching? Another good idea. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of music programs here in the Bay Area in public schools. Not to mention the myriad of certifications and programs needed to get on their roster in the first place. Plus, the steady work, even if it's not ideal, at least brings in predictable cash money flow.
Yes, maybe both of those responses are littered with excuses as to why I'm not pushing myself a little outside my comfort zone and taking a risk. Right now, I don't know that I'm in the position to take that risk in the first place. Needless to say, there's a lot running through my head and, just like before, writing it all out helps me make sense of it all.
However, while my employment situation leaves a little to be desired, that's just about my only complaint in the world and, for that reason, I am extremely blessed. At least I have a job. Many people don't. Another reason to be grateful, and I recognize that. Getting adjusted to living in CA has been more of a shock to the system than getting adjusted to being married - that feels totally natural and we are both extremely happy. Zeke is a happy, healthy moosh and we live in an excellent area, close to wonderful family who we are able to see regularly. It's still a mess of adventures, but in a new, exciting way.
| Lovely view of San Francisco from atop Twin Peaks |

So excited to have you back! I checked periodically to see if you would start up again, yippee!
ReplyDelete