Scene: Driving back home with Kevin
after a perfect evening dining out - having a picnic dinner at one of
our favorite new parks, Coyote Point. On the way home, we pass the
huge local high school.
Me: Yeah, that definitely looks like a
new theater
Kevin: Oh yeah – that's the fly
space over there.
Me: Looks like it'll be really
nice...(sigh...)
Kevin: Why do you always sound
depressed when you see a nice theater like that? You say that like
it's the saddest thing in the world to you.
Me: Well, I am a little sad. I miss
working in theaters like that, doing shows, you know. Part of it is
sadness that I'm not in one now, doing stuff with music. Part of it
is envy that others are there. I am kinda sad that I'm not enjoying
a beautiful new space like that, but I don't know that it's where I'm
supposed to be, either.
What I continued to think: Yes. I am
sad. I am sad that I have these degrees and this talent and this
love for music and I'm working a ridiculous job in retail. At the
mall. And then I see a gorgeous new theater at a school and I wonder
what shows they'll do. I wonder what music will be made. Kevin and
I met during my first musical when I moved to Baltimore – I'll
always have a soft spot in that regard. And I envy those who have
ridden out the storm in music ed despite budget cuts, etc, and I
wonder if I actually have the tenacity to fight for it like I know
they have to fight for it. And I don't know. And then I doubt
myself on a multitude of levels: my drive, my passion, my ability to
teach...
Later that night:
Me: Did I tell you I got a referral
from a school in a suburb of Oakland?
Kevin: No, when?
Me: Yeah, like on Thurs or Fri. I
looked at some info on it – it's like 45mins each way in good
traffic. And it's choir, theory, and history, which is great, but
they also want band.
Kevin: Do all the things!
Me: Yes, do all the things when I'm not qualified to do all the things and don't want to pretend like I can adequately teach band. Not to mention the potential late nights, weekends, and other craziness. I don't know. I just don't know if I want to pursue it, especially with that commute. I'll never be home...
Me: Yes, do all the things when I'm not qualified to do all the things and don't want to pretend like I can adequately teach band. Not to mention the potential late nights, weekends, and other craziness. I don't know. I just don't know if I want to pursue it, especially with that commute. I'll never be home...
I start to wonder if I want to put
myself through it all. Do I want to continue the arduous process of
searching for jobs that are scarce at best, put myself in the pool of
other candidates and try to sell myself and my skills to the latest
search group? And, if I luck out and get hired, what will it be like
getting to know another new school, another new student body, another
set of standards and traditions? It almost feels like a
hyper-intense dating process – hey, do you guys on the search
committee like me? Do your friends and colleagues like me? How
about all of this mass of crazy teenagers – do they like me and
will they listen to me and respect me as a teacher? What are your
likes and dislikes? Oh, you don't really seem to like what I like,
but that's ok, I'll still try to relate to you and build the
foundation for a relationship of sorts.
Been there, done that. I mean, any job
application process is like that to some degree, but when it's
something you really care about, it starts to sting when it doesn't
look like it's going to work out. And now that's happened a few
times, be it for a teaching position or another real, non-mall job.
I've always been a bit of a weenie – maybe I'm just looking out for
my own somewhat thin skin by not putting myself out there again.
Then there's this: Maybe I'm not meant
to be a teacher. I touched on this a little in another post, but, to
summarize, I came to music education because I love music, I love
singing, and I love being around others who share that same passion.
But, when I reflect back on how I was
in the classroom, I'm not always entirely sure that I was the best
teacher. Passionate, yes.
Committed, yet. Put on good productions, yes. But did I really
possess the core aspects of honest to goodness teaching? I'm not
sure. I wasn't great about lesson planning, my classes should
probably have been more structured and disciplined, and maybe I
should have continued to push myself more in terms of building
foundations. I sometimes think that the successes I had were because
I had enough passion and energy to inspire my students to put
together great performances. And I got along with them well. I
attained the end product, but did I achieve it in the best, most
educationally savvy way? Eh, probably not.
Don't
get me wrong – I enjoyed teaching. I really did. And I miss it. No amount of
current debating or wrangling over my present employment dilemma, or
wondering if I ever really was a super teacher or not will ever
change that. I loved what I did more often than not. Of course
there were frustrating days, early mornings and late nights with
rehearsals. But I loved the shows, I loved the concerts, and I wrote
some really excellent arrangements for my ensembles. And I know
that, despite any good or not so good teaching practices I may have
employed, I made a difference in the lives of my students. Maybe not
all of them and not all to the same extent, but I know I did. And I
will be forever proud of that. So, where do I go from here? It's still a little unclear, but I have some ideas....
No comments:
Post a Comment