Sunday, May 6, 2012

And now for something completely different

So far, I've written about all the various changes, upheavals, moving perils and final things going on.  And that kind of thing can be a downer in abundance.  Today, let's talk about something else - I'm thinking shoes. This is always a happy topic.

Some of the jewels of my collection. Love.
Pics don't do them justice.
OK.  Shoes.  Most of you know I love me some shoes - bright, animal print, peep-toe, wedge, platform, boot, cute flat, strappy sandal or - my fav - the stiletto. You name it, I probably have it in some form or fashion.  Luckily, Kevin indulges (and sometimes encourages in the case of the stiletto) my addiction.  I mean habit.  Or collection.  Yeah, we'll go with collection.  Shortly after the proposal I began thinking not just about my dream dress, but my dream shoes to compliment said dress.  My vision: bright, strappy, sparkly in good taste, and with some serious elevation.  Bonus points for walkable/danceable.  The hunt began.  The dress I found fairly easily, (woot!) but the shoes?  Those proved to be exceptionally difficult.  I wasn't expecting to find anything until March at the earliest - with a summer wedding date, I wanted something appropriately seasonal that would showcase a fantastic pedicure - so peep-toe just wasn't going to be airy or strappy enough. 


I began haunting my favorite shoe locations, Aldo & Nordstrom's, and searched other stores regularly as well, both online and in person but all to no avail.  They were either the wrong color, not high enough or with a clunky heel (What is it with that coming back in style?  Not cool!) or they were bedazzled with spikes, unnecessary zippers (another trend I'm not favoring) or were closed or peep-toe.  Not good for showing off the lusciously bright pedi I anticipate having.  Disappointment reigned.  I asked sales people, "When are your bright, strappy, high stiletto shoes coming in?"  I was met with crestfallen faces as they admitted, "Those aren't coming in this year and I just don't know why."  We would share a sigh and a knowing look that, unfortunately, for this summer, the adorable hotness I was seeking just wasn't meant to be.  Well, wasn't meant to be there at my price point - if I had the spare cash to justify Jimmy Choo's or (...sigh...) Louboutins with their tauntingly bright red sole, spectacular wouldn't be an issue.  Unfortunately, I could also pay a month's rent for the same price.  In an effort to be a responsible adult, I decided that, tempting though they were, it was ludicrous to drop that much cash on a pair of shoes.  Or, for right now with my current not-employed-in-CA-yet job status it is unwise, to say the least. 
Le sigh... Louboutin = Perfection

It became apparent that I would have to expand my scope - I had to have them before my first fitting for the hem length (you KNOW that dress is going to have to be shortened, regardless of how high those shoes are.  Unless I wear stilts.  Not happening.)  Originally I wasn't considering silver as I was really hoping for a bright pop of color or something else that was slightly different and, dare I say, edgy and unexpected.  I begrudgingly admitted that I would not have those dream shoes.  And I was ok with that.  Something wonderful could still be found if I kept my eyes open.  As luck would have it, I ended up at another Nordy's and found them:  strappy - yes, sparkly - yes, tall - yes (3.5"), non-chunky stiletto heel - yes, and for the bonus, walkable/danceable - after taking several laps around the shoe dept, yes!  Score!  AND - ON SALE!  Double score!  They're silver, so not my ideal color, but everything else is on the mark!  I'm still casting sidelong glances at Aldo and other hunting grounds, but I'm happy with what I've got.  More importantly, I'm ecstatic about the dress and even more over the moon about the groom - so really, the most important things are already taken care of. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment